demo news

James Mwape Research (direct and indirect methods were used to collect and analyse demographics data)

A special thanks to all those who participated. Published January 25, 2016.

For questions, comments or full report, please call: 1-856-577-1036 or email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Demographic Analysis: At end of December 2015, there were 37, 645 (est.) Zambians living in America. Females were 53.4% (20,102) while 46.6 (17,543) were males. The racial make-up was 68,7% (about 25,862) native black Zambians, 24,1% (about 9,072) Zambians of Asian origins, 7.1% (about 2,673) mixed races of two or more races, and approximately 0.1% (about 38) white Zambians. There were 12 deaths in 2015 among Zambians. More than half or 55% (20, 705) are natural born American citizens of one or both Zambian born parents, of the remaining 45% (16,940), 69.1% (11,706) were naturalized American citizens, 27.8% (4,709) were permanent residents (Green Card holders), the rest 3.1% (525) were on visas.

Families: There were 26,340 households of which 55.2% had children under the age of 18 living at home, 44.3% were married couples living together, 38.0% had a female as head of household with no husband present and 17.7% were non-families or had left families in Zambia. The average household size was 2.8 and the average family size was 4.1.

Education: Approximately 43.9% (approx.16, 526) had graduate degrees, 37.4% (14,079) had 4-year undergraduate degree, another, 9.7% (3,652) had completed 2 year colleges, 6% (2,259) had high school certificates only and the rest, 3% (1,129), never completed their secondary education.

Careers: The majority (39.6%) of Zambian-Americans and Zambian residents in the US work in Healthcare sectors as Doctors, Nurses, Administrators, Scientists, Caregivers and in Education sectors (27.3%) as Educators (Professors / Teachers), Researchers, administrators etc. The banking, insurance and related financial industries employ about 22.4%, across the country.

Income: The median household income was $97,685 (with a margin of error of +/- $3,125). Men had a median income of $69,725 (+/- $2,791) compared to women $52,178 (+/- $2,873). The per capita income for the community was $41,432 (+/- $2,010).

Location: The majority (73.8%) live in large urban areas with a concentration in metropolitan cities of Albany, NY; Atlanta, GA; Baltimore, MD; Boston, MA; Charlotte, NC; Chicago, IL; Dallas-Fort Worth, TX; Denver, CO; Houston, TX; Indianapolis, Los Angeles, CA; Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN; New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburg, PA, Phoenix, AZ; Richmond, VA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; and Washington, DC. The rest live in the suburban areas or cities in Midwestern states.

Location

Contact details

18 Ivy Lane, Cherry Hill, NJ 08002, USA

Phone:   +1 856 577 1036
Email:    mwapeawards@gmail.com
Web:    www.mwape.com